Ranger Rl-8500 Combination Disc/drum Brake Lathe With Bench & Standard Tooling
Ranger’s revolutionary RL-8500 combination brake lathe utilizes independent DC servo motors that control the cross-feed and spindle feed drives. This ultimately eliminates the need for complex mechanical gearboxes and transmissions that are usually found on mechanically driven brake lathes.
Did you like this product? Add to favorites now and follow the product.
+1 (702) 658-1323Give Us a Call
The RL-8500 brake lathe from Ranger is ruggedly built and capable of faster, easier, and more accurate rotor/flywheel and drum/flywheel resurfacing than most other brake lathes. With infinitely adjustable feed rates you are able to easily modify cut speeds with the turn of a dial. Now you can reduce or increase the cut-time for the best finish results, whether you’re speeding through an initial rough cut or a single-pass micro-finish. The RL-8500 is the complete lathe package which includes the lathe, a sturdy bench, and large tool storage backboards so you can hang all of your adapters within reach. A common issue plaguing other brake lathes is the vibration that directly affects the tool-tip and leaves an imperfect cut on the machined surface. Ranger has specifically designed the RL-8500 to address this issue by eliminating the need for gear-driven mechanical drives and variable-speed transmission devices.
Because the Ranger RL-8500 brake lathe does not use gears and transmissions, they have created a machine that offers a very smooth operation. If you were to turn a rotor on any lathe and then drop a hammer on the floor next to the lathe, you would see a noticeable degradation of the cut at the moment of impact. With no gears and transmissions, Ranger has completely eliminated multiple frequencies that could degrade the machining finish. The formation of surface roughness is usually the result of the tool feed rate, spindle rotational speed, tool geometry, material properties and relative tool-work vibration. When going with Ranger, vibrations and chatter from gears, bearings, and mechanical drive parts are no longer an issue.
With the RL-8500 you get great features, versatility, peak performance, superior utility, and increased productivity.
A tradition of service
Quality, durability, and precision are what makes a Ranger product so special. For them it is not enough to make a high-quality product. They need to make a product that will consistently be offering solutions to make the lives of technicians far easier.
The design of the RL-8500 was introduced nearly 40 years ago, and since then it has become a favorite of brake technicians everywhere. It’s simple, it’s quick, and it just keeps running. It features Ranger’s twin-cutter tool head with micrometer dials and quick drum-to-rotor changeover. The adjustable speed settings allow you to quickly rough-cut rotors or slowly give them a fine, smooth cut. An infinitely adjustable spindle-feed gear box provides variable speed settings, providing finish cuts that meet or exceed factory specs. Ranger’s negative rake tooling yields one-pass finish cuts every time, and the standard 1” arbor provides you with a multitude of tooling and adapter choices from either Ranger or other aftermarket suppliers.
Transmission-free, dual servo motors
Due to the fact that the RL-8500 does not include gear-driven mechanical drives and variable-speed transmission devices, it has significantly reduced service and repair costs over the span of the unit’s lifetime. By using independent DC servo motors to control the cross feed and spindle feed drives, Ranger has eliminated the need for complex mechanical gearboxes and transmissions typically found on mechanically-driven brake lathes.
Heavy-duty bench included
Ranger has included a sturdy steel work bench at no additional charge. It also comes with large stool storage backboards so all of your adapters can hang within arms’ reach. There is also a durable multi-compartment toolbox that provides storage for all adapters and accessories. Keep your work area clean and safe with the large chip “catch” funnel and chip bin.
Easily change from rotors to drums (and back)
A convenient quick-change tool-head design allows operators to quickly change the setup from drums to rotors and vice-versa. The upfront controls are designed for minimal operator movement. With a handy tool tray located near the front of the machine you are able to keep your favorite brake lathe tools nearby.
Fully equipped tooling package comes standard
The RL-8500 comes fully loaded with everything you could possibly need. For example, it includes a micro-dial twin tool cutter, boring bar, inside floating adapters, self-aligning spacer, outside floating adapter, centering cones, spacers, double-taper adapters, hubless adapters, carbide cutting tools, 6-sided carbide cutting inserts, 1” arbor, arbor nut, backload spring, spare bulb for lamp, illustrated instruction manual, wrenches, high-impact anti-vibration bands and plastic storage case. Get more bang for your buck with the RL-8500.
Safe and easy to use
Ranger has given the RL-8500 a sensible ergonomic design that allows you to work both quickly and efficiently. It features simple upfront controls which are designed for minimal operator movement.
Adjustable work lamps
Dual LED extra-bright work lamps will keep both sides of the rotor and your work area properly lit, even in the darkest corners.
Optional truck adapter set
If you’re looking to service virtually any vehicle, look no further. This super-duty adapter package includes an upgraded 1-⅞” arbor and a wide variety of adapters. This enormous multi-piece set can even allow you to service vehicles like full-size commercial trucks.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
- Precision electric DC servo motors designed to meet the demanding requirements of industrial motion control
- Quick-Change Adapter-Plus system with built-in springs eliminates the need for conventional bell clamps and cones
- Works with hubless drums, rotors (center hole sized 2-5/32″ – 4″) and composite rotors (center hole sized 4″ – 6.25″)
- The RL-8500 is equipped with features that help increase your service capability, like precision twin cutter tools and a quick drum-to-rotor changeover
- Infinitely variable spindle and cross feed speed settings allow for quick rough and precision finish cuts
- Simple ergonomic controls are designed for minimal operator movement
- Legendary control makes unit easy to learn and master
- The RL-8500 maintains accuracy year after year thanks to ruggedly constructed components like a hardened, precision ground spindle that resists grooving and makes boots a thing of the past
- Massive tapered spindle bearings offer superior weight support during rotation
- Exclusive “splash-lube” oil-feed system supplies a constant flow of oil to the bearings, making sure they provide years of trouble-free service
- Serpentine belts provide a faster, quieter operation, reducing chatter and vibration
- An independent cross feed motor eliminates the need for plastic or bronze shear gear that are expensive and time-consuming to replace
- A convenient top storage tray means your popular adapters and tools are kept within short reach
- Separate motors on the drum and rotor feed help maximize the main motor’s efficiency
- Our deluxe standard adapter package includes a Quick-Change hubless adapter system that makes mounting rotors and drums quick and easy
- A variety of adapters let you machine all standard and composite rotors for foreign and domestic cars and light trucks
- A 450-lb. cast iron body and a solid work bench reduce transient vibrations, ensuring a smooth uninterrupted surface finish with each pass
- Easily change arbor speeds in seconds: choose 150 or 200 rpm, depending on the job
- Positive rake cutter tip angle provides a one-pass finish virtually every time, allowing you to complete your work faster than inferior multi-pass lathes
- Optional truck adapter kit available
Motor Drive Unit
115 – 230 VAC, 50-60 hz, 1 Ph, 20 amp
Max Rotor Thickness
2.5” (64 mm)
Max Rotor Diameter
17” (432 mm)
|Turntable diameter:||30″ (762 mm)|
Brake Drum Diameter
6” – 28” (152 mm – 711 mm)
Max Load with Standard 1” Arbor
150 lbs. (68 kg)
Max Load with Optional 1-7/8” Truck Arbor
250 lbs. (113 kg)
6-7/8” (175 mm)
150 rpm – 200 rpm
Shipping Weight w/ Bench & Tools
678 lbs. (307 kg)
45” x 38” x 29” (1,143 mm x 965 mm x 736 mm)